ICE has been known to trump up the number of 'criminals' it catches; some of these 'offenders' have done nothing worse than run a red light.
A hard-hitting, first-of-its-kind ad highlights how HB 56 has negatively impacted churches, farms, schools, children, and families.
Mercedes has the political power to push Alabama for a repeal of HB 56. Please help us ask them to take a stand.
04/06/12 - Yesterday, the backers of Alabama’s “show me your papers” anti-immigrant law introduced new legislation to tweak, but not repeal HB56. The following is a reaction to the new bill from Frank Sharry, Executive Director of America’s Voice. | Read More
04/06/12 - A “Colbert Report” segment this week wonders how Republicans are going to capture the Latino vote “instead of their current strategy of capturing Latinos.” Colbert cites the recent Fox News Latino poll which found that no more than 14% of Latino voters would swing for the Republican Party if the general election were held today. | Read More
04/05/12 - A bill proposing changes to Alabama's illegal immigration law has been introduced in the House. HB 658 by Rep Micky Hammon. | Read More
04/05/12 - Yesterday, I had the privilege of representing America’s Voice Education Fund, alongside Renata Soto of National Council of La Raza and Fred Redmond of the United Steel Workers and the AFL-CIO, at the Daimler AG shareholder meeting with more than 6,000 attendees in Berlin, Germany. | Read More
- Mississippi’s Anti-Immigrant Bill Is Dead for the Session (04/05/12)
- Under Pressure From Color Of Change, Coca-Cola Drops Support of ALEC. Pepsi’s Out, Too. (04/05/12)
- Who is a Criminal? ICE’s Less-than-Reliable Numbers on ‘Criminal Offenders’ (04/04/12)
- As Commentators Assess Romney Immigration Attacks, New Latino Voter Model to be Unveiled Thursday (04/04/12)
- DOJ to Arpaio: “You Are Wasting Time and Not Negotiating in Good Faith.” (04/04/12)
- Labor Groups Submit Complaint to UN’s International Labor Organization, Citing Problems With H.B. 56 (04/04/12)
- Despite Zero Credibility on Issue, Romney Attacks Obama on Immigration Failures (04/03/12)
- Alabama Faith Leaders Premiere First-of-Its-Kind Ad Against State Anti-Immigrant Law HB 56 (04/03/12)
- Rep. Gutierrez Blasts “Dangerous Game” GOP Senators Are Playing with “Stolen Dreams” Act (04/03/12)
- In Germany, Civil Rights Delegation to Attend Mercedes Shareholders’ Meeting, Protesting HB 56 (04/02/12)
- Alabama Faith Leaders to “Unveil a Hard-Hitting, First-of-its-Kind TV Ad Campaign” Targeting H.B. 56 (04/02/12)
- Lamar Smith’s “Holiday on ICE” Hearing Last Week a War on Women, Immigrants, and Decency (04/02/12)
04/06/12 - Boston Globe
Changes could be coming to Alabama's tough immigration law that has been challenged by the courts, churches and businesses. Its author, Republican Rep. Micky Hammon, on Thursday offered revisions that he said would make the law more workable for local governments, more enforceable for police, and less burdensome for law-abiding citizens and businesses.
04/06/12 - Huffington Post
Alabama lawmakers took the first step Thursday toward amending -- but not repealing -- the state's contested immigration law. Republican House Speaker Mike Hammon filed a bill that would make changes to H.B. 56, a partially blocked law that allows police and other government officials to inquire about citizenship status in a number of situations.
04/06/12 - Latin American Herald Tribune
According to a study, the Hispanic vote is expected to be crucial in states such as Virginia, Pennsylvania, Washington and North Carolina, where a close contest is anticipated between Obama and the Republican nominee
04/06/12 - USA Today
During the first six months of last year, the federal government deported more than 46,000 parents who claimed their children are U.S. citizens, according to a new report that has raised concerns about what happens to children after their parents are expelled.
04/06/12 - Univision
As Mitt Romney begins to pivot toward a general election match up with President Obama, he’s looking to keep the focus off some of his tough statements on immigration, which have hurt his standing with Latino voters, and target the president.
04/05/12 - New American Media
Civil rights leaders traveled to Berlin this week to ask Mercedes executives to speak out against Alabama’s anti-immigrant law. The delegation is part of an effort to pressure Alabama's top automakers -- Honda, Hyundai and Daimler AG -- to oppose Alabama’s HB 56, known as the toughest immigration law in the country.
04/05/12 - Colorado Independent
Sen. Marco Rubio’s recent proposal to offer a “conservative-Republican alternative” to the DREAM Act continues to draw criticism from media outlets that say it could result in “a half-measure that produces only a different sort of legal limbo” for immigrants.